Saturday, April 28, 2012

Thinking during a layover

So, I'm down to one week!  It feels like I just started but the 24 week program I've been following is coming to an end.  It has been such a great experience, I kind of don't want it to end.  I've had so much help and support from family and friends.  I think when its all over and I look back at this experience I will value the journey much more than the actual race.


Around three years ago I was at a Cubs game and a guy sat down in front of me with an Ironman jacket on and I thought to myself, "that is something I will NEVER be able to do." Now, with two half-iron and several other triathlons in the bag, I'm just seven days away from attempting what I thought for me was impossible.

I stuck hard to my training plan and feel like I am prepared.  Here is my mileage and time for the last 23 weeks:

  • swim - 81 miles - 128 hrs
  • bike - 2,972 miles - 156 hrs
  • run - 478 miles - 80 hrs
The only thing I thing I skipped out on that might come back to bite me is climbing on the bike.  I should have made several trips to the Blue Ridge Mountains for rides.  I know I can do the time in the saddle, it's just going to be a war with the elevation gain.  The course is out then two loops. I plan to ride very conservative on the first loop.  I'm confident in my swim and I've just accepted the fact that the run is going to be a battle from hell...which in the twisted brain of mine excites me all the more, haha.  My brother and I are heading out a week early in which I hope to adjust to the climate, elevation and breakdown the course. 



1 comment:

  1. Hello Mark,
    Just a quick message to ask if you would be interested in a mutual following on twitter. I am currently following you now and am awaiting for your follow-back if you indeed decide to do so...

    All the very best for the rest of 2012 and beyond Mark. Hope to hear back from you soon...

    Darin
    twitter.com/DarinArmstrong
    Team LIVESTRONG
    PS.(#FYI I do RT's for all #Triathletes #Cyclists #UltraRunners & #Marathoners who follow me and have something important they want mentioned...)

    ReplyDelete