Friday, December 23, 2011

140.6 or Bust




Why St. George

The 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile run has been my goal for almost two years so now it's time to do work!  I'm less than 20 weeks out from Ironman St. George.
Deciding which race to do was hard.  One thing that is crazy about Ironman events is the majority of them fill up quick (for example, Ironman New York 2012 sold out in 11 minutes).  Destination and the time of year is also a major factor.  I was thinking Arizona in November but was worried because that one sells out quick as well.  A few that don't fill up as fast are Louisville (known as the hottest race on the circuit because it's in the dead of summer), Cozumel, and St. George.  I went back and forth for a few days but finally bit the bullet and registered for St. George.  Now I'm less than 20 weeks out
St. George is said to be one of, if not, the hardest on the circuit.  The bike course will be interesting with up to 17% grades and 6000+ ft. elevation gain.  The run course is said to be THE hardest marathon, but for 2012 they have re-routed it so we'll see if it still holds the title.  One good thing is that it is one of the most beautiful courses and I'm sure I will have plenty of time to admire it over the 112 mile bike ride.


Another reason is I've always wanted to get out west so figured this would be the perfect opportunity.  St. George is also only two hours from Vegas which is great persuasion when trying to convince family and friends to come; they can drop me off, go gamble/catch a show for several hours and then come back and pick me up.

Preparation

Ironman St. George is scheduled to take place May 5th, which means winter training and the holidays.  I did Orlando 70.3 last May so I figured I could handle the winter training again even though I'm starting six weeks earlier.  Another one of my concerns is the elevation.  Richmond, VA is around 160 ft and St. George is around 2,600 ft. and the bike course goes up to 4,100 ft.  The only thing I can think to do is make a few weekend trips to the Blue Ridge Parkway for rides and runs.  I am also going to try and fly out to St. George the weekend before the race to adjust.
I picked up Matt Fitzgerald's "Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide" to develop my training plan.  In it are 10 levels of training plans for the full distance, from beginner to pro.  I am going to attempt to follow level 9 which consist of 11 workouts a week, putting in between 15-22 hours.  Seems a bit excessive but I figure I will miss a few workouts here and there so if I shoot for insane and fall short it will still be crazy.  I've learned to squeeze out every second of opportunity to get in my training so I think it will be manageable.

Where I'm at Now

Currently in my fifth week of training.  The first couple of weeks were a bit challenging, just as much mentally as physically.  I've only been out of triathlon training since the end of September but it was crazy how much I lost.  I was still running, lifting, and an occasional swim or bike.  The volume of training is just what dropped off, and I felt it!  But now I'm starting to get back in the swing of things.  I've been very fortunate so far with the awesome weather.  It's been perfect for running.
I've been doing all my bike workouts on the trainer because it saves time and it's almost dark when I get off work.  I don't mind doing the workouts on the trainer, actually kind of prefer it to riding outdoors.  You don't have to worry about getting run over or flat tires.
The holidays are a stressful time for most people and for me they have become a bit more cumbersome than I had anticipated.  Buying presents, traveling, planning time to meeting up with family and friends are all things I can usually manage but trying to do that and plug in 2+ hours of training a day is pushing it.  As much as I would like to curl up in a little ball of self-centered narcissism I know it's not the time.  It's really not as bad as I make it out to be.  Any stress that I do have I bring on myself.  Just need to quit sniveling and man up.  But that's my only gripe so I think I have it pretty good right now.


My Bro

Another thing I'm really excited about is my brother showing interest in triathlons.  He wants to complete a Half Ironman in 2012, think he's shooting for one in September.  He's currently following an Olympic training plan to get the feel of things.  I know it seems ambitious to shoot for a half your first year in triathlons but he's got tremendous drive and commitment so I think its definitely possible.
It's awesome working out with him because I get to seem him improve and I know how good that feels.  He's going through the obsessed stage where it's all you talk about, think about and want to do.  It's good to be around that because I feel like it gives me a little extra kick.  Plus he has lost over 40 pounds and is eating better.  
His biggest adversity is his job; he works on the railroad.  He works a lot of long hours and has to travel every so often.  Yet, he squeezes in every workout he can.  I'm super proud of him and plan on doing everything I can to help him reach his goal.  
Brother & I before 8k

No comments:

Post a Comment